Making candy corn out of polymer clay is quite easy and it is an excellent project for just about any age group. These little polymer clay candy corns are so cute and are great for adding to all sorts of decorations and other things. You could use them to embellish things like frames, magnets, candles or even for adding to scrapbooking pages.
– Polymer clay (yellow, orange, white) – I normally use the Sculpey brand
– Clear acrylic sealer (optional)
1. Warm up each color of clay by rolling and kneading it until it feels soft. Now roll each color out until it’s about 1/4″ thick. Now press the three rolls together with white on top, orange in the middle and yellow on the bottom.
2. Find a thin, sharp edge such as a thin piece of cardboard to use to slice through the clay. With the white on top, make angled cuts through the clay. You are trying to make triangular shaped pieces with the white being at the small tip and the yellow at the wider bottom.
3. Now to give them a more finished look, smooth and Clay cutters round the edges. Now the candy corn is finished. Before you bake them decide if you are going to leave them as plain candy corn or if you would like to turn them into buttons, earrings, or maybe a necklace pendant.
4. To make buttons, just poke two holes in the middle of the orange clay. Now the buttons are ready to bake. To make earrings, you will need eye pins and earring hooks. Poke the eye pins straight down from the top of the candy corn. Then press the clay around the pin so it will hold. Now the earrings are ready to bake. To finish your earrings, attach the earring hooks. You might need to use needle-nose pliers to do this. To make a pendant, poke an eye pin into the candy corn as described for the earrings. Now the pendant is ready to bake.
5. Bake your candy corn creations according to the package. I baked mine for about 10 minutes at 275F which worked well.
6. (Optional) After the candy corns have cooled, you could spray them with acrylic sealer to make them glossy and have a more complete look. This may take a few hours to dry completely.
The above suggestions are just a few ideas for how you could use these cute clay candy corns. Take a minute and think of other fun and creative ways you could use these little embellishments. On clothes or on a costume? In a table setting for a party? Maybe on a throw pillow? There are so many possibilities for these little candy corns.